- 8 cups Dashi
- 1 tablespoon mirin (a Japanese cooking wine, available at specialty shops)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 (7-ounce) package fresh udon noodles
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves, stemmed
- 2 small round fish cakes, thinly sliced into strips
- 1/4 (14-ounce) carton medium tofu in water, drained, cut into 1-inch squares about 1/4-inch thick
- 1 green onion, chopped
- Bring the dashi to a boil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the mirin and soy sauce. Add the noodles and simmer until soft, about 2 minutes.
- Using a large spoon with tongs, remove the noodles from the soup and divide the noodles between 2 bowls. Add the spinach to the soup and simmer just until wilted, about 1 minute.
- Using tongs or chopsticks, remove the spinach from the soup and mound it atop the noodles in the bowls, dividing equally.
- Arrange the fish cake slices and the tofu atop the noodles. Divide the soup between the bowls and top with the green onion. To eat, use chopsticks to slurp the noodles.
Soup Recipes: Quick & Complete Meals