When fall rolls around, we can’t help but throw on our aprons and grab our oven mitts for a season of plentiful baking. Quick bread loaves like this Greek yogurt apple bread recipe are warm, aromatic, and inviting, a.k.a. everything we love about fall.
This apple bread is incredibly moist and tender thanks to the Greek yogurt that’s used in the recipe. Not only is Greek yogurt a healthy alternative to sour cream, but it works just as well, if not better, at helping baked goods form a tender crumb.
While this is an apple recipe, you may be surprised to find out that you only need a single apple to make this bread. You can use any kind of apple that you want, but we prefer tart green apples for baking. The tartness is usually a nice compliment to the sweetness that you find in most baked goods.
For this apple bread recipe, you’ll also be using whole wheat flour in addition to regular all-purpose flour. The whole wheat flour adds some depth in flavor that regular flour cannot impart.
Other than the couple tablespoons of brown sugar that are used to coat the apples, the sweetness of the bread comes from the honey and applesauce that’s used, natural sweeteners that we find preferable over table sugar.
We recommend storing this apple bread in an airtight container after it’s cooled if you have any leftovers. You can also slice the loaf and store individual slices in ziplock bags in the fridge. Simply pop the slices into the microwave or a toaster oven to briefly reheat before enjoying for breakfast or dessert.
Cook time: 50 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
- 1 granny smith apple peeled, cored and chopped into small pieces
- 2 tbsp packed light brown sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- To a small bowl, add the chopped apple pieces, the brown sugar, and the ground cinnamon. Stir together to combine, then temporarily set aside.
- To a medium bowl, add the flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk together to combine.
- In a large bowl, beat the Greek yogurt, applesauce, and honey together until combined. Add the eggs and vanilla, and again beat to combine.
- Turn down your electric mixer's speed to low and continue mixing the batter as your stream in the melted butter.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently and slowly incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Mix just until they're blended in. Try not to overmix the batter as this will make your bread dense.
- Fold in the apple and cinnamon mixture from the beginning of the recipe, then transfer the batter to your greased loaf pan.
- Bake the bread for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before flipping out and cooling on a wire rack.