This easy broccoli soup recipe is a wonderful option for a simple lunch or light supper. Made with puréed broccoli and a touch of half and half, you will love how lean and delicious this healthy broccoli soup recipe is.
A traditional cream of broccoli soup recipe calls for the use of heavy cream and cheddar cheese. While that combination is comforting and tasty, it’s not that suitable if you’re trying to eat clean or lose weight.
This broccoli soup recipe is made with broccoli and celery, as well as garlic, onion, reduced-sodium chicken broth, and half ‘n’ half for a simple and skinny version of broccoli soup. While this isn’t a vegetarian broccoli soup recipe, you can simply make it so by swapping out the chicken broth for vegetable broth.
The soup only takes a few minutes to prepare and about 15 minutes to actually cook. This makes this broccoli soup a wonderful meal to whip up on a busy weeknight. Store the leftovers in the fridge for lunch the next day, or serve this soup alongside a tasty grilled cheese sandwich for a heartier meal.
Cook time: 15 minutes
Prep time: 5 minutes
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme or parsley
- 8 cups chopped broccoli stems and florets
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup half and half optional
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- To a large pot, add the butter and oil. Warm over medium heat until the butter melts. Add the onion and celery and sauté until the two have softened - about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and herb, stirring the two together in the pot for about 20 seconds. Once fragrant, stir in the broccoli.
- Pour the water and broth into the pot and bring the mixture to a simmer over high heat. Once simmering, reduce the heat to medium-low to keep it at a simmer and cook the broccoli. This should take about 8 to 10 minutes for the broccoli to cook.
- Transfer the contents of the pot to a food processor or blender and purée the soup in batches until smooth.
- Transfer the purée back into the pot and stir in the half 'n' half, as well as the salt and pepper. Taste test and add more seasoning if needed.
Recipe adapted from eatingwell.com