When you think of summer, you might think of carnivals and festivals serving cotton candy and sweet treats you can’t find anywhere else. One of our personal favorites is sweet caramel corn. Crunchy with both that sweet and salty combination of flavors, it’s hard not to find caramel corn completely irresistible.
If you’ve ever looked at the nutrition label on a bag of caramel corn, however, you’ll often find that it’s filled with loads of unhealthy ingredients like corn syrup and refined sugar. This healthy caramel corn recipe, however, uses none of these ingredients.
Instead, to give the popcorn that sweet coating, we use a natural sweetener in the form of maple syrup. Not only is there less sugar involved than there is with the commercial caramel corn, but the type of sugar here is easier on your body to digest.
This caramel corn recipe is great for summer parties, or even in the fall for special occasions like Halloween. Better yet, save this recipe for the holiday season and gift your loved ones with personal bags of homemade caramel corn.
Cook time: 20 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup organic popcorn popped
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup Pure maple syrup
- 1 cup full-fat unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 dash of salt
- Preheat the oven to 250°F. Dump your popped popcorn into a large bowl. Temporarily set aside. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium saucepan, warm the butter, maple syrup, coconut milk, and salt over high heat until it comes to boil. Then, lower the heat and allow the mixture to simmer until it reaches 220°F.
- Slowly drizzle the caramel sauce over the popped popcorn as you stir the popcorn, making sure all the popcorn is coated in the caramel.
- Dump out the caramel-coated popcorn onto both baking sheets. Bake the popcorn for about 20 minutes, then let it completely cool before enjoying.
Recipe adapted from lifemadefull.com