These healthy chicken lettuce wraps are a wonderful weeknight meal to enjoy when you’re looking for something light and low-carb to eat.
Some people refer to this recipe as Asian chicken lettuce wraps or Thai chicken lettuce wraps, but for the most part, this recipe is a copycat version of the famous P.F. Chang’s dish.
Making chicken lettuce wraps is really simple and, best of all, really quick. It’s one of those dishes that you can make in less than 20 minutes. If you regularly cook Asian dishes, then you probably already have most of the ingredients you need in your pantry.
Asian cooking staples like hoisin sauce, fresh ginger, soy sauce, and rice wine vinegar all make an appearance in this dish and give it the sweet and salty flavor that we love.
You can make chicken lettuce wraps with finely chopped chicken or ground chicken. We prefer ground chicken because it’s easier to cook and combine with the rest of the ingredients in the skillet.
If you’re on a low-carb diet, you’ll love the fact that the chicken filling is served inside lettuce cups rather than rice or noodles, like other traditional Asian recipes. If you’re taking leftovers to work the next day, we recommend storing the filling and lettuce cups in separate storage containers. This way, you can warm up the chicken filling at work without warming up the lettuce.
For more low-carb recipes, check out our collection here.
Cook time: 10 minutes
Prep time: 5 minutes
- 1 lb ground chicken breast or finely chopped chicken
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp Asian chili sauce
- 8 oz water chestnuts drained and finely chopped
- 1 bunch green onions thinly sliced
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 16 Boston, Bibb, or butter lettuce leaves
- Set up a skillet over medium heat and add the ground chicken. Stir and cook the chicken until it's no longer pink.
- Add the onion, garlic, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, ginger, vinegar, and chili sauce to the skillet. Sauté and cook until the onions are tender and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the water chestnuts and green onions, cooking everything in the skillet for another 2 minutes. Finally, stir in the same oil and remove the skillet from the heat.
- Place the chicken filling on a plate next to a stack of lettuce leaves for serving.
Recipe adapted from cdkitchen.com