If you haven’t tried out the Instant Pot pressure cooker yet, then you’ve probably been missing out on delicious recipes like this chicken tortilla soup. Prepped in five minutes and cooked in 15, it’s hard not to love a quick weeknight dinner like this.
This chicken tortilla soup is made with just a handful of ingredients. Aside from the main ingredient (chicken), you’ll find red pepper, onion, garlic, tomato paste, pickled jalapenos, chicken broth, and taco seasoning in this soup recipe.
The wonderful part about using a pressure cooker is that you can typically add all the ingredients into the pot in one simple step, just as this chicken tortilla soup recipe demonstrates. The onion and pepper are diced then added into the pot with everything else. The Instant Pot lid is sealed in place then the soup is left to cook on its own for 15 minutes.
Once the soup is done, the tender chicken is taken out and shredded before it’s mixed back into the soup. You can garnish this chicken tortilla soup with an array of your favorite toppings. We personally love diced avocado and tortilla strips with a little bit of chopped cilantro on top.
The best part is that you can easily store the leftovers of this soup in the fridge and it will taste even better the next day!
Cook time: 15 minutes
Prep time: 5 minutes
- 2 frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts about 6 to 8 ounces
- 2 cups cooked black beans rinsed and drained
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 6 oz organic tomato paste
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup diced pickled jalapenos with juice
- 1/4 cup taco seasoning
- diced avocado + tortilla strips + chopped fresh cilantro to garnish
- Add all of the ingredients (except for the garnishes) to the Instant Pot. Place the lid on top, making sure it's locked in place. Turn the pressure knob to sealing, then use the manual function to cook the soup on high pressure for 15 minutes.
- When the pressure cooker alerts you that the time is up, carefully switch the knob to the venting position for quick release. Once the pressure has released, open the lid and take the chicken out.
- Place the chicken on a wood board and use two forks to shred the chicken. Stir the shredded chicken back into the soup.
- Serve the soup in individual bowls and garnish with the suggested toppings.
Recipe adapted from Instant Loss Cookbook