One of our favorite salads to whip up is this Italian chopped salad recipe. Using just a handful of go-to ingredients, you can create a delicious meal from this salad in no time.
This chopped salad recipe is a simple yet flavorful combination of ingredients utilizing cheese, salami, tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, and an irresistible chopped salad dressing.
The best part about this chopped salad recipe is that you can swap out many of the ingredients for whatever you have on hand. Don’t have mozzarella cheese on hand? Try swapping in feta cheese instead. Mix things up and try prosciutto instead of salami, or go ahead and toss in some pine nuts for extra crunch.
An Italian chopped salad is very forgiving and while it’s typically made with romaine lettuce, you can also change out the greens for another kind. The chopped salad dressing that coats all the greens is a really simple creation of red wine vinegar, pepper, and olive oil, making this a yummy salad recipe you can turn to whenever you’re short on time.
Cook time: 0 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
- 4 cups chopped romaine
- 1/2 cup peeled English cucumber cubed
- 1/2 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 red onion sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/2 roasted red pepper chopped, in water
- 1 oz genoa salami sliced
- 1/3 cup olives sliced in half (Greek or black)
- 6 tbsp shredded part-skim mozzarella
- Toss romaine with cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, and olive oil, red wine vinegar, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Top the salad with the chopped red pepper, salami, olives, and mozzarella.
Recipe adapted from skinnytaste.com