This sweet, yet healthy cornmeal cake is the perfect accompaniment to your summer dishes. Light and delicate with a tender crumb, you’ll love serving this cornmeal cake alongside your barbecued dishes.
To make this cornmeal cake, you’ll need the primary ingredient — cornmeal. The cornmeal not only provides the sweet and nutty flavor of cornmeal but a slightly grainy texture as well that gives cornmeal baked goods their signature appearance.
If you wanted to serve this cornmeal cake as a side dish, you can simply skip the strawberry compote and serve it right alongside a bowl of chili or some barbeque ribs. Otherwise, this cornmeal cake with strawberry compote is a sweet dessert that can be enjoyed after a savory dish.
Feel free to swap out the strawberries for other berries like blueberries or blackberries as well. Just be mindful that if you’re using a tart berry, you may want to increase the sweetener used in the compote recipe.
Cook time: 30 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
- For the cake:
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 cup whole grain pastry flour
- 1/2 cup beet sugar or granulated cane juice
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg beaten
- 2/3 cup whole milk yogurt
- 3-4 tbsp butter softened
- lemon zest
- For the compote:
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 cup strawberries washed
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a 9×9 baking pan.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix the wet ingredients (egg, yogurt, butter) in a separate bowl. Combine the dry and wet ingredients.
- Pour into the pan and bake for 20-25 minutes. Let cool completely before topping with strawberry compote and lemon zest.
- Remove the leaves from the from strawberries and discard. Dice strawberries.
- In a small pot or pan, sauté strawberries in butter, 1 minute or until wilted.
- Add apple juice and vanilla and cook on medium heat until liquid reduces (about 5-7 minutes).