This date and walnut loaf recipe, also known as a date and walnut cake, is a healthy make-ahead dessert you can prepare and enjoy throughout the week. Made without added sugar, butter, or eggs, you will love how clean this date nut bread recipe is while still being incredibly tasty.
This date and walnut loaf gets much of its flavor from the sweet, sticky dates. That’s why this cleaner version of an old-fashioned date nut bread doesn’t need butter or sugar to contribute to its warm, sweet flavor.
Instead, to help moisten up this date nut loaf, olive oil is used in the batter. The oil tenderizes the bread and gives it that fluffy, soft texture.
To make this date and walnut loaf recipe gluten-free, simply swap out the wheat flour for gluten-free all-purpose flour. You can also make this recipe vegan-friendly by using non-dairy milk or allergen-friendly by leaving out the walnuts.
For best results, make sure to soak your dates in the warm milk, as directed, and keep the loaf tightly wrapped in plastic wrap when not consuming.
Cook time: 35 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Idle time: 3 hours
- 20-25 dates pitted
- 1 1/2 cup milk for vegan-friendly use non-dairy milk
- 1 cup whole wheat flour for gluten-free use GF all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup olive oil plus more for greasing pan
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a loaf pan with some oil. Place the pitted dates in warm milk for at least 3 hours. Afterward, remove a few dates from the milk and temporarily set aside.
- Pour the milk with the dates in it into a blender and blend into a paste. Add oil and give the mixture a quick blend.
- To a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, and baking powder together. Pour in the milk/date mixture and stir everything together.
- Toss the walnuts and the reserved dates from the first step in just a little bit of flour, then stir the nuts and dates into the batter.
- Distribute the batter into your greased loaf pan and bake the loaf for 35 to 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Recipe adapted from thebellyrulesthemind.net