When September rolls around, we can’t help but get excited about the abundance of sweet and tart apples at the market and all the delicious things we can do with them, this gluten-free apple crisp recipe being one of them!
In many ways, an apple crisp is the more relaxed version of an apple pie. The apple filling is often made in a similar fashion to apple pie’s and contains the same flavors. You’ve typically got fall spices like cinnamon with the heady fragrance of sugar and butter as well.
While an apple crisp is not enveloped inside pie crust, it does have an irresistible crumb topping. In fact, we usually prefer this gluten-free apple dessert over other kinds because of just how scrumptious the topping is. Not to mention, this gluten-free apple crisp is incredibly simple to make, whether you’re a baker or not.
To make the gluten-free crumb topping, you simply swap out all-purpose flour and regular oats for almond meal and gluten-free oats. Everything else is already gluten-free, to begin with. We make some other tweaks to create this gluten-free apple crisp recipe, but those are just healthier adjustments to the traditional recipe, such as using maple syrup for sweetness and coconut oil for fat.
We recommend serving a piece of this gluten-free apple crisp with a dollop of freshly whipped cream or ice cream while the crisp is still warm.
Cook time: 35 minutes
Prep time: 5 minutes
- For the Crisp:
- 1 cup gluten-free oats
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil in solid state
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/8 tsp salt
- For the Apple Filling:
- 3-4 large apples peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp coconut oil in solid state
- 2 tbsp almond meal
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- To a medium bowl, add the apple filling ingredients together and stir until they're well-combined. Pour this filling into an ungreases pie plate.
- In another bowl, combine the ingredients for the topping until well-mixed. The topping should look clumpy.
- Distribute the topping over the apple filling, covering the surface as best as you can.
- Bake the apple crisp for 30 to 35 minutes until golden and crisp.
Recipe adapted from smashpeasandcarrots.com