When it comes to healthy eating, nothing beats a fresh salad. Fill up on nutrients with this easy, low-calorie green bean salad that features the bright flavors of lemon and dill.
To create this green bean salad recipe, you’re going to steam cook a pound of trimmed string beans. If you’re not going to eat your vegetables raw, then steaming is the next healthiest option for obtaining all the nutrients you can get from the veggies.
The beans are then tossed in a delicious dressing made up of lemon, fresh dill, shallots, olive oil, and whole-grain mustard. The lemon and mustard provide tang and spice, while the dill adds an element of freshness to the dish.
Serve this green bean salad as a side to your dishes or as an appetizer to your meal.
Cook time: 7 minutes
Prep time: 5 minutes
- 1 lb. string beans trimmed
- 4 tsp chopped fresh dill
- 1 tbsp minced shallot
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp whole-grain mustard
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Bring an inch of water to a boil in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer basket.
- Add string beans to the basket, cover, and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, or until slightly tender. Remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, whisk dill, shallot, oil, lemon juice, mustard, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add the string beans and toss to coat.
- Let stand about 10 minutes before serving to blend flavors.