Do you ever find yourself running out the door without breakfast, only to end up at a coffee shop later picking up a calorie-packed pastry? If so, we completely understand and have totally been there. Having healthy to-go options like these healthy breakfast muffins are essential to maintaining a clean diet and avoiding unhealthy coffee shop pastries.
While you may spend your evenings prepping your lunch for the next day, your morning breakfast typically doesn’t get as much attention. It seems like we usually plan on eating breakfast but somehow always manage to run out of time in the morning and dash out the door without eating.
These healthy breakfast muffins can be made ahead of time and refrigerated (or frozen) so that all you have to do in the morning is grab one of out the sealed container it’s stored in and hit the road. Best of all, these muffins are incredibly healthy.
Rather than use white flour to create these muffins, we use old-fashioned oats. The oats are toasted for tasty, nutty flavor. We also don’t use any butter or oil in this recipe but, instead, use ripe bananas. The bananas, along with some honey, provide these healthy breakfast muffins the perfect sweetness and texture.
These healthy breakfast muffins are just as tender as the coffee shop muffins but without any of the bad stuff in them. Make a big batch on a Sunday, then store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 10 days. You can toast them in a toaster oven before eating, or microwave them for a few seconds to warm them up.
If you choose to freeze these healthy breakfast muffins, simply wrap them well in plastic wrap, then defrost in the fridge overnight. Breakfast honestly doesn’t get easier than that!
Cook time: 20 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Idle time: 10 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups ground old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup whole old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup mashed banana (2-3 ripe bananas, or 1 cup applesauce)
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Place whole old-fashioned oats on a baking sheet and toast the oats in the oven for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the toasted oats with the ground oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Make sure they're well-blended.
- In another clean bowl, mix the mashed banana (the banana shouldn't have any clumps in it) with the eggs, honey, milk, and vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients into the bowl of wet ingredients. Stir to combine. Let this mixture rest for 10 minutes, so the oats can absorb some of the liquid. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line a muffin tin with paper liners, then scoop the batter among the prepared holders (this recipe should make 14 muffins). Bake the muffins for 20 to 23 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Recipe adapted from brendid.com