This vegan mushroom risotto recipe is our idea of delicious comfort food. Rich with mushroom flavor and just as creamy as an actual cream-filled risotto, you will love the taste and texture of this dish.
The first step to making any kind of mushroom risotto recipe is to use risotto rice, also known as arborio rice. This is a starchy, short-grain Italian rice that contributes to a lot of risotto’s creamy texture.
To make this easy risotto recipe, you’ll need vegetable stock and mushrooms to flavor much of this dish. Onion, olive oil, and vegan butter also contribute to the flavor in this vegan mushroom risotto, but the mushrooms are the real star here.
The prep for this creamy mushroom risotto is very minimal, however, you should set aside some time for actually cooking the risotto. Even a simple risotto recipe like this has you adding in liquid gradually, giving a chance for the risotto rice to absorb the liquid before more is added.
Once this vegan mushroom risotto recipe is finished, however, we think you’ll agree that the patience to make this dish is totally worth it. Smooth, savory, and rich with mushroom flavor, this vegan risotto will have you swooning over each and every bite.
Cook time: 40 Minutes
Prep time: 5 Minutes
- 6 cups vegetable stock/broth
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 packs brown mushrooms sliced
- 1 1/2 cups risotto rice arborio
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- sea salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- parsley to garnish
- vegan parmesan cheese to garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a pot over medium high heat. Once the oil is hot, add in the onion and sauté for a few minutes until tender and translucent.
- To the pot, add the mushrooms and give it a stir. Cover the pot and let the mushrooms cook until they're tender and have released some of their water. Remove the cover from the pot and stir in the rice.
- Pour in 3 cups of the vegetable stock, give everything a stir, then cover the pot and let the mixture simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the stock has mostly been absorbed.
- Add another 1 1/2 cups of vegetable stock to the pot, stir again and cover, then let the mixture simmer for another 10 minutes, or until the stock has mostly been absorbed.
- Add the remaining 1 1/2 cups of stock, stir, cover the pot, and let the mixture simmer for another 5 to 10 minutes, until most of the liquid has been absorbed by the rice.
- Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the vegan butter, along with a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir everything together then taste test for more seasoning. When you're ready to serve, garnish with vegan parmesan and fresh parsley.
Recipe adapted from lovingitvegan.com