If you eat chicken, chances are that you enjoy a delicious serving of crispy chicken. The satisfying crunch from the crispy exterior paired with the juicy, tender chicken meat on the inside is an irresistible combination and is one that can be found in this oven baked chicken recipe.
We’ve all learned that fried food isn’t good for us due to its high-fat content and the trans fatty acids that are usually found in fried foods. But one of the desirable aspects of fried food is the crispy quality that they obtain after being breaded and dunked in hot oil.
Thankfully, you can recreate that crispy texture without sacrificing your health. This oven baked chicken recipe relies on the crunch from bran flakes cereal, as well as a special baking technique that is key to keeping baked food crispy.
That technique involves using a wire, oven-safe rack to bake your chicken on rather than placing the chicken directly on the baking sheet. The rack prevents the chicken from becoming soggy from baking in its own juices.
If you wanted to meal prep this oven baked chicken recipe, you could easily prepare the breaded topping ahead of time and store it in an airtight container in the pantry, then brush the mayo-dijon dressing onto the raw chicken and store that separately in the fridge. That way, when you’re ready to prepare your chicken, all you have to do is coat the chicken in the crumb topping and bake it in the oven.
Cook time: 35 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
- 6 medium bone-in skinless drumsticks
- 2 1/2 cups bran flakes
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp fresh black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 5 tbsp Hellman’s light mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Oil spray
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil. Place an oven-safe wire rack on top of the baking sheet, then spray the rack with oil.
- Using a food processor, crush the bran flakes until you get small crumbs. Pour the crumbs into a shallow bowl and add the salt, garlic powder, paprika, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Stir everything to combine.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the mayonnaise and dijon mustard. Whisk to combine. Use a brush to apply the mixture to the chicken drumsticks.
- Dip the chicken into the crumb mixture until it's all evenly coated. Place onto the wire rack on your baking sheet. Spray all the chicken pieces with oil.
- Bake in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the crumb is golden brown.
Recipe adapted from skinnytaste.com