A potato salad is always a must at any backyard party during the summer, but a potato salad with chives is even better. This vegan recipe delivers a tasty, yet healthy potato salad you can enjoy during the summer for any occasion, whether it’s for a weeknight dinner or an outdoor bbq.
To create this potato salad with chives recipe, you’ll need the vegan-friendly version of mayonnaise – Veganaise. This eggless mayo gives this potato salad with chives a creamy consistency and yummy mouthfeel.
The chives add that delicious onion flavor to the dish and make this potato salad stand out compared to other potato recipes like fries or mashed potatoes.
You can technically use any kind of potatoes you like for a potato salad, but we prefer red-skinned potatoes because of their petite size and advantageous nature for boiling. Red potatoes also tend to have less starch and more sugar, making them stickier and better for dishes like this potato salad with chives.
Cook time: 15 minutes
Prep time: 5 minutes
- 3 pounds red-skinned potatoes cut into 1-inch pieces, about 12 medium potatoes
- 2/3 cup finely chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 cup Veganaise available in natural food stores
- 2 tbsp brown rice vinegar available in natural food stores
- 1 tsp Freshly ground black pepper plus more
- 3/4 tsp sea salt plus more for seasoning
- Pour 1 inch of water in a large pot. Set a steamer basket in the pot, cover and bring water to a boil over high heat. Place half of the potatoes in the basket. Cover and steam for 14 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender, stirring after the first 7 minutes. Transfer the potatoes to a large baking sheet. Repeat with remaining potatoes. Cool potatoes to room temperature.
- Whisk the chives, Veganaise, vinegar, 1 teaspoon of pepper, and 3/4 teaspoon of salt in a large bowl. Add the potatoes and toss gently to coat. Season the salad to taste with more salt and pepper, if desired, before serving.
- The salad will keep for 1 day, covered and refrigerated.
Updated by Beeta Hashempour on 7/3/2018