With football season just a few weeks away, it’s time to bust out the dip recipes and chips for some game day eats. This skinny queso dip recipe is a favorite when you’re looking for a homemade version of that silky, smooth Velveeta queso dip that so many of us know and love.
To make this easy queso dip “skinny,” you’ll simply need to swap out a few of the traditional Velveeta cheese dip ingredients for healthier options. One such substitution includes using coconut milk instead of heavy cream.
Coconut milk tends to have the thick, rich quality of heavy cream without as much fat. In this queso recipe, you can’t even notice the difference when tasting the cheese dip even though the coconut milk is much healthier.
We also use Greek yogurt in this skinny queso dip recipe to help thicken up the dip and give it that creamy consistency. Greek yogurt is an excellent source of protein and much leaner than alternatives like sour cream.
We suggest pairing this delicious cheese dip recipe with a bag of healthy tortilla chips, but we honestly wouldn’t judge you if you just wanted to eat this up with a spoon!
Cook time: 10 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 jalapeño seeded and diced
- 1 Roma tomato diced, plus more for garnish
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 avocado halved, seeded, peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- To a saucepan over medium-high heat, add the butter. Warm until the butter has melted, then add the garlic and jalapeno; sauté for about 30 seconds. Add in the tomato and cook for a couple of minutes until softened.
- To the saucepan, add the flour and quickly whisk to combine. Continue cooking for another minute before gradually streaming in the coconut milk as you constantly whisk the mixture. Continue whisking the contents of the saucepan for about 5 minutes, until the mixture has thickened.
- Add the shredded cheese, whisking as you do to incorporate the cheese well until it's smooth. Whisk in the chili powder and cumin before seasoning the dip with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the Greek yogurt until blended in. Pour the dip into a bowl and garnish with some more chopped tomato, avocado, and cilantro.
Recipe adapted from damndelicious.net