While Halloween may have once been about scary ghosts haunting the streets, today, Halloween is eagerly anticipated for the creative costumes and abundance of sweets there are to indulge in. Darling goodies like this pumpkin rice krispies treats recipe are the perfect addition to your Halloween spread, adding charm and a whole lot of yummy to this festive holiday.
To make these tasty little pumpkins (and pretty much any rice krispies recipe), you need Kellogg’s® Rice Krispies® cereal, a bag of marshmallows, and a little bit of butter. This trio of ingredients makes up the base of rice krispies treats.
For this particular recipe, you’ll want to go one step further and also add some food coloring, green M&Ms, and Rolo minis to your shopping list. These extra ingredients give these little pumpkins their color and characteristic pumpkin appearance.
The best part of this pumpkin rice krispies treats recipe is that it can easily be made ahead of time and set aside until you’re ready to serve them. They travel well, do not need to be refrigerated, and, most importantly, are absolutely delicious!
We recommend making these pumpkin rice krispies treats for a Halloween classroom party or just placing them on a table next to other Halloween foods for a festive spread.
Check out more of our Halloween ideas and recipes here!
Cook time: 5 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 bag large marshmallows approximately 40 marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- Red and Yellow Liquid Food Coloring
- Mini Rolos
- Green M&M's
- cooking spray
- Set a large pot over medium-low heat and add the butter in. Warm until the butter has melted.
- Add the marshmallows in and use a wooden spoon to stir the marshmallows until they're completely melted. Remove the pot from the heat.
- Add some drops of yellow food coloring to the melted marshmallow mixture and stir to combine. Once the batter looks yellow, add a little bit of red food coloring and stir to combine. Keep adding a mix of yellow and red until you get the orange color you desire.
- Add the Rice Krispies cereal to the mix and stir to combine together. All the Rice Krispies should be coated in the marshmallow mixture.
- Line a baking sheet with a sheet of parchment paper. Spray both your hands with cooking spray and use them to roll the Rice Krispies mixture into 12 balls. Use the end of your wooden cooking spoon to gently make a slight indentation at the top of each pumpkin ball. This is where your mini rolo is going to go.
- Place the mini rolos on the top of each pumpkin ball (in the indented spot), then place a green M&M (on its side) next to the rolo, gently pressing the candy into the treat. This is the leaf for your pumpkin.
- Let the pumpkin rice krispies treats rest on the baking sheet until they're cool and set.
Recipe adapted from onelittleproject.com