When you’re looking for an easy meal with minimal clean-up, you’ll want to try what is commonly referred to as a “foil packet” dinner. Recipes like this salmon foil packet are a tasty and effortless way to create a full meal with little prep and fewer dishes.
In general, salmon can be a tricky food to cook. If you cook salmon too long, it will become tough and dry. Furthermore, cooking salmon on the grill can make things even trickier since it often sticks to the grill and becomes difficult to remove.
Instead, cooking salmon in a foil packet like this will not only help you get the delicious charred flavor you love from the grill, but it will also ensure your salmon is perfectly moist and easy to remove.
But perhaps the best part of a salmon foil packet recipe like this is the fact that you can cook everything you want to serve your salmon with right inside the packet. Add veggies to your foil packet and delight in their irresistible flavor once they’ve finished cooking.
The veggies will absorb the tantalizing salmon marinade and juices, making them just as much of a star as the salmon itself. Our favorite veggies to include are asparagus and squash.
The entire meal takes about 10 minutes to prep and 15 minutes to cook over the grill. Best of all, you really only need a chopping board for your veggies, a small bowl for the marinade, and 4 sheets of foil to cook the dinners in — that’s all!
For another tasty salmon dinner, we recommend trying our healthy salmon chowder recipe!
Cook time: 15 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
- 4 salmon fillets
- Salt and pepper
- 6 tbsp butter melted
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- zest of one lime
- 2 small zucchini sliced
- 2 small yellow squash sliced
- 1 pound asparagus
- 1 small red onion cut into chunks
- 1 red pepper sliced
- 1 Lime cut into 4 wedges
- fresh parsley for garnish
- Warm the grill to medium heat, then cut the aluminum foil into 4 large sheets, big enough to enclose the salmon and veggies.
- Lay out the 4 sheets of aluminum and add a salmon filet to the center of each. Divide the veggies among the 4 sheets of well, placing the veggies on the sides of the salmon.
- Combine the melted butter, lime juice, and lime zest in a small bowl. Stream this mixture evenly over each salmon and veggie combo. Add a lime wedge to each packet as a garnish.
- Bring up two sides of each foil sheet so that they meet together over the salmon. Bunch the edges together and fold together, leaving a little air in the packet for heat circulation. Bring up the other two sides of the foil to meet together and fold, effectively sealing the packet shut. Repeat this step for each foil packet.
- Transfer the salmon foil packets onto the grill and cook for about 13 to 15 minutes. When ready to serve, carefully open foil packets, making sure you keep your skin away from any steam that may be escaping. Garnish with fresh parsley.
Recipe adapted from therecipecritic.com