Whether you’re going for an outdoor hike or simply looking for an easy snack on-the-go for your work day, this trail mix recipe is the perfect option to keep you satiated and happy.
Made with mixed nuts, including cashews and walnuts, you’ll find a dose of good fats and omega-3 fatty acids in this healthy trail mix. Some of the other trail mix ingredients in this recipe include coconut flakes, banana chips, and dark chocolate chips.
This iconic mix of flavors, also known as “chunky monkey,” is a delightful combination of flavors that are sweet, bitter, and nutty. To enhance the sweet flavors of this trail mix recipe, specifically the unsweetened nuts, you’ll want to also use some coconut sugar as well.
Feel free to swap out the cashews for almonds if that’s what you have on hand, or add in other nuts like pecans or Brazil nuts. Using a crock pot to toast your nuts like we have here in this recipe is a great way of getting them perfectly toasted without burning them.
Cook time: 1 hour
Prep time: 5 minutes
- 2 cup raw walnuts halved
- 1 cup raw cashews halved
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes not shredded
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 2-3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 ounces unsweetened banana chips or dried banana slices
- 1/2-2/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- To a crock pot, add the nuts, coconut, coconut sugar, vanilla, and coconut oil. Stir everything together then turn on the crock pot to high for 45-60 minutes. Stir the mixture every now and then to make sure the coconut flakes don't burn.
- Lower the heat and continue cooking for another 20 to 30 minutes. When the trail mix is ready, transfer the mix to a sheet of parchment paper to dry out.
- Once the trail mix has cooled, toss in the chocolate chips and bananas. Store in an airtight container when you're finished.
Recipe adapted from cottercrunch.com