Whether you follow a vegetarian diet or simply looking for ideas for Meatless Monday, these vegetarian tacos are a delicious option to consider. Made with ingredients like creamy avocado, red onions, and shredded cabbage, you won’t be missing any of the meat in these tacos.
This taco recipe consists of a few staple ingredients, including an avocado spread, onions, and refried beans. If you have friends and family over, they can help you create the various components of these vegetarian tacos so that you’ll be eating them in no time. Otherwise, simply make some of these ingredients ahead of time and quickly assemble when you’re ready to serve them.
One of the best parts about making vegetarian tacos like these at home is the fact that you can garnish them with whatever toppings you choose. Some of our favorites include cabbage, crumbled cheese, and fresh cilantro.
You can also try adding your favorite salsa recipe, such as a sweet and refreshing mango salsa. Pair these tacos with a gluten-free beer and healthy tortilla chips for the full Mexican cuisine experience.
Cook time: 20 minutes
Prep time: 40 minutes
- 1 red onion sliced thin (try pickled onions for more flavor)
- creamy avocado dip or store-bought guacamole
- 1 can refried Beans
- 8 corn tortillas or taco shells
- shredded cabbage (green or purple) to garnish
- crumbled Cotija to garnish
- chopped fresh cilantro to garnish
- lime wedges to garnish
- For the avocado dip:
- 2 large avocados halved, pitted, skins removed
- 1/2 cup lightly packed fresh cilantro some stems are okay
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1 small jalapeno seeds and ribs removed, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp water more as needed to thin
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- Add the avocado dip ingredients to a food processor. Blend until smooth, stopping every now and then to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add more water, one tablespoon at a time, as needed to thin out the consistency into a spreadable dip.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and warm the tortillas in the skillet. If you're using taco shells, warm the taco shells in an oven or toaster oven for a few minutes at 350°F.
- Spread a spoonful of refried beans in the center of each tortilla or taco shell. Add a spoonful of the prepared avocado dip, some onion slices, and any of the suggest preferred garnishes.
Recipe adapted from cookieandkate.com