Everyone wants to see a blemish-free face when they look into the mirror every morning. But for some people, that dream may seem far from reality. Over 60 million people struggle with acne.
If you fall into that camp, don’t be discouraged! We’ve got 3 DIY facial peel-off masks that will help you on your quest for blemish-free skin.
What Causes Acne?
So what causes facial acne? Well, facial acne and blemishes usually begin with blocked pores. Every pore on your skin is an opening to a hair follicle. That follicle is made up of a sebaceous oil gland, which releases sebum oil.
When your face produces too much sebum, it clogs your pores. Dead skin and sebum will build up in your pores causing inflammation, creating that unattractive pimple on your face.
Natural Remedies for Acne
Other contributing factors to acne and blemishes are stress, smoking, genetics, improper skin care, and poor diet. So instead of running down to the store to grab acne-removing products, try looking around your house for these common items:
- Apple cider vinegar
- Tea tree oil
- Olive oil
- Green tea
- Tumeric powder
- Aloe Vera
The previously mentioned items are perfect for getting rid of acne, whiteheads, pimples and dark spots. By adding 1 tablespoon of gelatin to a mixture of these items, you will be able to create your very own peel-off facial masks.
Gelatin improves the elasticity of your skin while helping pull impurities out of your skin. If you don’t want you to use gelatin, you can use toilet paper or cotton balls instead as well.
Papaya, Apple Cider Vinegar, and Cinnamon
What You Will Need
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of gelatin
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 3 tablespoons of papaya
- Add gelatin powder into a small bowl then add other ingredients along with it.
- Mix the ingredients together and let this mixture sit until it reaches room temperature.
- Place ingredients in a microwave for about 30 seconds or until the paste is a creamy-like consistency; let cool.
- After the mixture has slightly cooled, apply paste all over your skin avoiding areas with hair (peeling off the mask will be painful in those areas).
- Let the mixture sit for 15-30 minutes.
- Peel off the mask in an upward motion, or wash off instead.
How it works: Apple cider vinegar contains alpha hydroxy acids that help lighten dark spots and blemishes. It also cleanses pores while balancing our skin’s pH level.
Cinnamon has anti-fungal and antibacterial properties that fight acne and improve fine lines. Papaya has an enzyme that fights free radicals and softens skin, while milk contains a skin lightening agent to help reduce dark marks.
Potato Juice, Tomato, and Egg Mask
What You Will Need
- 2 tablespoons of potato juice
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 1 egg white
- 1.5 tablespoons of gelatin
- Add gelatin powder and potato juice to a small bowl and place in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Then add the leftover ingredients to the mixture.
- Let cool, then apply over face.
- Allow the mixture to rest on the face for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Peel off or rinse instead.
How it works: Potatoes contain starch that helps reduce dark spots. They also help reduce dark circles, as well.
Egg whites have astringent properties that help shrink pores and remove blackheads. Tomatoes are high in vitamin C, making them excellent for glowing and blemish-free skin.
Pineapples, Aloe Vera, Lemon, and Green Tea Mask
What You Will Need
- 1/4 cup of pineapple juice
- 1/2 a lemon, squeezed
- 2 cups of aloe vera
- 1/4 cup of brewed green tea
- 2.5 tablespoons of gelatin
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- Add green tea, pineapple juice, and lemon in a bowl and microwave for 30 seconds.
- Add gelatin powder, turmeric, and aloe vera to the mixture and mix until dissolved.
- Let the mixture rest until the mixture cools down, then apply to your face, applying 2 coats if you must.
- Let the mixture sit for 30 minutes, then peel or wash off.
How it works: Pineapple contains bromelain, which helps reduce inflammation. Green tea gently relaxes and heals your skin.
Lemon brightens your skin while giving you an even-toned complexion. Aloe vera contains polysaccharides that help replenish old cells and heal scars. Tumeric contains over 300 oxidants that help clear skin.
The Quest for Blemish-Free Skin
Whether you’re struggling with pesky pimples or just trying to up your skincare regimen, these DIY facial peel masks are ideal for you. You can use any of these masks as many times as you want. They’re simple, convenient, and made out of products you usually keep in your fridge.
As always, progress happens in due time, so make sure you are consistent with your facial regimen to get your desired results. If you are allergic to any of these ingredients, feel free to substitute and always add a moisturizer of your choice afterward to keep your skin feeling silky-smooth.
What Causes Blemish Prone Skin? (2017, March 03). Retrieved March 16, 2018, from https://www.laroche-posay.co.uk/what-causes-blemish-prone-skin
Using Raw Potatoes to Get Clear Skin. (n.d.). Retrieved March 16, 2018, from http://www.outofstress.com/do-raw-potatoes-clear-skin/
J. (2015, July 04). Health Benefits of Pineapple Juice for Glowing Skin and Beauty. Retrieved March 16, 2018, from http://www.gyanunlimited.com/health/health-benefits-of-pineapple-juice-for-glowing-skin-and-beauty/8614/
Tomato for clear skin – Times of India. (2017, April 21). Retrieved March 16, 2018, from https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/beauty/Tomato-for-clear-skin/articleshow/7686230.cms
7 benefits of Papaya for skin: Know from Dermatologist. (n.d.). Retrieved March 16, 2018, from https://www.dermatocare.com/blog/7-benefits-of-papaya-for-skin–know-from-dermatologist
Goenka, S. (n.d.). 7 Best Benefits and Uses Of Cinnamon Powder For Skin, Hair and Health. Retrieved March 16, 2018, from http://www.stylecraze.com/articles/benefits-of-cinammon-powder-for-skin-hair-and-health/#gref