Decorating your home for fall doesn’t have to be an expensive or elaborate ordeal. In fact, some of the coziest touches come from DIY crafts like this autumn leaf bowl. Unique and hand-crafted pieces like this bowl add festivity and warmth to the home without tons of money.
While this autumn leaf bowl isn’t heavy duty, it makes for a beautiful fall decor piece to add to a side table or coffee table. We think it’s particularly darling with some decorative mini acorns filled inside or lightweight potpourri.
You can make this autumn leaf bowl any size that you want. The trick is to use a real bowl that mimics the size of your desired leaf bowl. The real bowl serves as a mold in this DIY fall craft.
To create this DIY autumn leaf bowl, you will need:
- Artificial Autumn Maple Leaves
- Plastic Bowl
- Mod Podge Matte
- Krylon Triple Thick Glaze
- Plastic Wrap
- Cover a bowl with plastic wrap and place the bowl upside down on a flat surface.
- Paint mod podge over one leaf at a time and press the leaf onto the plastic wrapped bowl. Overlap the leaves and cover the base and halfway up the sides of the bowl.
- As you press the leaves onto the plastic wrap, you will notice that the mod podge squeezes out; simply brush any excess mod podge on the outsides of the leaves. Once you’re done, cover the bowl and leaves with another sheet of plastic wrap. This plastic wrap will help hold the leaves flat against the bowl as the mod podge dries.
- Let the bowl rest, covered in plastic wrap, for at least 1 day. For faster drying, try setting the bowl out in the sun.
- When the mod podge has dried and the leaves are dry, carefully remove the outer layer of plastic wrap so that the leaves are exposed. Spray the leaves with the glaze.
- Once the leaves are dry after being glazed, carefully take out the bowl from underneath and remove the plastic wrap from the inside of the leaf bowl.
DIY craft tutorial adapted from blog.consumercrafts.com