If you have a dog, you’ve probably seen that adorable pleading face at mealtime with its big, sad puppy eyes looking up at you as if to say, Please let me have just one little bite!
So what if you cave in to the begging? Is all human food bad for dogs?
The surprising answer is no.
There are actually many human foods that are good for your dog, too. Here are just a few examples:
- If your dog is ever sick with diarrhea, boiled hamburger meat or chicken combined with plain, boiled white rice will help settle its upset doggie stomach. The hamburger and chicken meat are also both packed with good-for-pup protein and vitamins.
- For extra protein, give your dog a hard boiled egg. Even plain scrambled eggs (leave out the good stuff like butter, salt, and milk!) will give your dog a nice shiny coat. But don’t ever feed your dog a raw egg (for the same reasons humans should not eat them).
- Frozen carrots are great for teething puppies to chew and on they’re a great treat for adult dogs as well.
- Apples are a good source of fiber and can be given to dogs with the skin. Use caution with apple seeds since they can be a choking hazard and also contain cyanide.
- A mashed-up banana makes a great stuffing for a frozen treat!
- Humans and dogs alike love natural peanut butter and it’s a good source of protein. Peanut butter is also an easy way to give your dog a pill with no hassles. Just place the pill in a small amount of peanut butter.
- Peas and green beans are great additions to your dog’s diet when it may need to lose a few pounds. Peas, green beans, and even broccoli are packed full of vitamins but low on calories.
Keep in mind that some dogs can have sensitive stomachs and allergies to specific foods. Always check with your veterinarian before trying a new doggie culinary treat. What makes human food bad for dogs is all of the processing and things we add when cooking. So it’s not the chicken that is bad for them, it’s the breading, butter, spices, and frying that causes problems for our four-legged friends. Those begging dog eyes will always be searching, but now you know some healthy foods that are good for humans and dogs alike!