A favorite ingredient for herbalist and holistic practitioners, the Licorice root is not only used to treat various health problems such as bronchitis and stomach ulcers but is also an active agent for skincare and treatments.
Licorice root is available as an extract or a powder, which can be used to prepare skincare and haircare DIY treatments.
This highly effective root has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties that help to brighten the skin, control oily hair, fade dark circles, keep acne in check and prevent premature baldness.
5 licorice DIYs for better hair and brighter skin:
Licorice root controls the production of oil on the scalp and prevents bacteria-causing dandruff, making it the perfect shampoo to cleanse the hair and reduce any excess oil present in the hair.
- Bring 2 tbsp. dried licorice root and 6 cups water to a boil and let simmer for 40 minutes.
- Use this licorice water as a rinse for a cleansing hair treatment.
This cleanser lightens your dark circles, controls acne, increases collagen and removes dead cells from your skin.
- In a bowl, stir together 3 tbsp. rice flour, 3 tbsp. oat flour, tbsp. milk powder and 1/2 tsp. licorice root powder.
- Pour this mixture into a sifter if the milk powder is clumpy. When you want to use it make a thick paste with water.
- Dampen your skin before massaging the paste and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Wash off and gently pat dry.
Due to its calming effect on the skin, you can also soothe the skin with licorice root extract and treat skin conditions such as psoriasis.
- Take a cotton ball, dip it in the root extract and apply it to your face before going to bed.
- Let the anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties do its work as you get your beauty sleep.
- Rinse the extract next morning.
- For best results, apply this extract regularly and notice the difference.
In recent clinical studies, licorice root has been found to have anti-inflammatory and demulcent agents that can reduce the symptoms of eczema and other skin disorders.
- Bring 2 tbsp. dried licorice root and 6 cups water to boil.
- Cover the pan, reduce heat and simmer for about 40 minutes.
- You can add this liquid to a cold compress and apply to the affected skin or pour it into a bath for relief.
This licorice root face mask helps to brighten the skin and reduce dark circles under the eyes. It also works to soothe aggressive skin that is prone to acne and skin diseases.
- Blitz together 1 cucumber, 1 tbsp. lemon juice, 1 tbsp. sandalwood, 1 tbsp. tomato and 2 to 5 drops of licorice root extract to make a smooth paste.
- Apply it on your face for 20–30 minutes and rinse it with water.
- Apply at least two times a week.