Meditation has been shown to directly affect the brain, changing it in ways that increase attention span and memory. Choose a time between 6 PM and 10 PM to do a 10-minute meditation. Practice this meditation for five days, at the same time each day. For the meditation, choose either a divine object or simple mantra as your focus. A divine object may be God’s image, however it appears to you. A mantra, such as om or amen, works well.
- Find a quiet, meditation-friendly place.
- Sit in a comfortable, relaxed position facing north or east.
- Close your eyes.
- Hold the image of your divine object in your mind’s eye, or silently repeat your mantra.
- Don’t concentrate. Simply observe your image or listen to your mantra’s silent sound.
- Be a detached witness. Don’t chase your thoughts, let them pass.
- When distracting thoughts occur, simply lead your mind back to the object of your meditation.
- When the 10 minutes is complete rest for at least a minute with your eyes closed.