With its sweet floral fragrance and myriad benefits, geranium has been a regular in the world of aromatherapy. It was first made popular by the Egyptians, who used it as a beauty agent, but is now used for calming and relaxation, as well as anti-aging.
It shares many of its therapeutic properties with rose oil, in fact, an untrained nose is likely to mistake its fragrance with rose. However, it is relatively low in price and hence a preferred choice.
Here’s why geranium is the best natural anti-aging agent around:
- Geranium improves blood circulation just below the surface of the skin and nurtures the regeneration of new skin cells. It also aids in equal distribution of melanin that lightens spots and scars.
- It contains astringent properties that prevent skin problems like sagging and wrinkling, and helps provide your muscles with a toned look.
- Massaging this oil relieves aching muscles and fatigue, which is one of the most common effects of advancing age.
- Geranium oil is especially beneficial in treating depression and anxiety. It stimulates good mood, calms the mind and boosts your emotional health.
- Giving yourself a regular geranium oil head massage can give you stronger and shinier hair. It may even support your nervous system, delaying the onset of age-related cognitive disorders. The best base oils to use are almond, jojoba or borage.
Pamper yourself with certified aromatherapist Noelle Katai’s DIY geranium oil blends.
Geranium Oil Body Wrap
- 6 drops geranium essential oil
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon aloe vera gel
- 7 drops palmarosa essential oil
- 6 drops frankincense essential oil
- 3/4 cup French green clay
- distilled water (optional)
- Add avocado oil and aloe vera gel to a small bowl, then add essential oils. Blend well.
- In a separate bowl, add clay, then gently mix in the essential oil and base mixture to create a paste. For a thinner paste, add a little distilled water.
- Smooth mask on your skin from your neck down to your toes. Wrap yourself in a sheet or cover a comfy chair with a sheet or towel and relax for about 20 to 25 minutes, until the mask dries.
- Rinse off the mask, or slough it off with a loofah, washcloth or sisal brush.
- Finish by slathering on your favorite body oil or lotion.
Geranium Oil Facial Blend
- 3 drops geranium essential oil
- 4 drops frankincense essential oil
- 3 drops rose essential oil
- 1/4 ounce rose hip seed oil
- 1/4 ounce evening primrose oil
- 1/2 ounce hazelnut oil
- Put all the ingredients into the bottle.
- Gently roll to mix.
- Put some on hands and rub into wrinkle areas of face in the mornings and the evenings, after washing.