If you’re privy to home decor trends, then you’ve probably seen beautiful velvet pumpkins gracing magazine pages and home decor stores this year. These plush fabric pumpkins are sophisticated, elegant, and entirely festive for the fall season.
Purchasing the pumpkins can be a pricey endeavor, however, as a small velvet pumpkin can cost anywhere from $10 to $20, depending on the retailer. For just about the same price, you can make a handful of your own velvet pumpkins to decorate your home with.
You don’t have to have any expert sewing skills or special experience to make these DIY velvet pumpkins. Moreover, making these pumpkins at home allows you to customize your pumpkins to the exact size and color that you want.
We love the idea of showcasing these velvet pumpkins in rich fall hues like copper, mauve, burgundy, and forest green.
To create these DIY velvet pumpkins, you’re going to need:
- Velvet fabric
- Sewing needle and thread
- Pumpkin stems
- Hot glue
- Dried beans
- Lay out your pieces of fabric and draw circles on them with your pen, making the circles as big as you want your pumpkins to be.
- Use the scissors to cut out these circles from the fabric.
- Thread your needle and begin sewing the edge of your fabric circle so that the edges bunch up together and meet to create a sac.
- Before sewing the sac completely shut, add some beans (any kind — pinto, kidney, etc.) to the sac to give it some weight, then add stuffing, piece-by-piece, into the sac until it is full and filled out.
- Tuck the edges of the pumpkin sac inside and sew across the top to seal the pumpkin shut.
- Apply hot glue to the bottom of the pumpkin stem and press down over the spot you just sewed shut on the top of the pumpkin. Hold down for 30 seconds and let the glue dry.
Note: You can find pumpkin stems already dried and ready for purchase online, or use stems from pumpkins available at your local market.
For more fall decorating ideas, check out our article here.
DIY project adapted from nestofposies-blog.com